St. Michael's Golden-Domed Cathedral is the central church of the St. Michael's Golden-Domed Monastery. An active Orthodox monastery in honour of Archangel Michael in Kyiv, the cathedral of the Orthodox Church of Ukraine. The original temple was built in 1108-1113 during the reign of the grandson of Yaroslav the Wise, Prince of Kyiv, Svyatopolk Izyaslavych. In the early 12th century, it was the only church in Kyiv with a gilded dome, earning its "Golden-Domed" name. The names of the artists who created the mosaics and frescoes remain unknown, although it is believed that Alypius of Kyiv-Pechersk Monastery participated in the work. The preserved mosaics cover an area of 45 square meters, and inscriptions are made in Old Slavonic and Old Ukrainian. In addition to the mosaics and frescoes, two slate slabs dating back to 1062 with embossed images of riders have been preserved. The temple was destroyed in the 1930s and reconstructed in 1997-1998.